"Have the guts to make a commitment, to prepare like no other, to accept the consequences involved, and to never rest on your laurels." - Lance Armstrong

Without discipline, the mind and body grow weak. Plan well. Train well. Live well. Love well.
Make every moment count.

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, ADVENTURE." -A.Dumbledore

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday Routine

Started a great Sunday routine here today.  Ran to the YMCA from our house.  It's around three miles - I'll clock it sometime this week for sure.  Great feeling to travel on foot from our waterfront neighborhood, through downtown Elizabeth City, past Roanoke Bible College and Knobb Creek Recreation Center, over a narrow bridge and then off road past Albemarle Hospital and College of the Albemarle, then arriving at the Albemarle Family YMCA with enough time to change into yoga teaching attire, grab a few drinks from the water fountain, welcome students to class and work through an hour of great stretching, balancing, relaxing.  Rob attended class today then swam with the girls while I finished with my half hour yoga beginners intro...took a power nap once home, much needed since my running routine is just getting reestablished. Am working toward a minimum 30 minutes/3 x week running base for at least a year before I commit to any long distance event again, as per Hal Higdon advice. Look forward to building mental strength again along with physical endurance...I'd like to honor individual running days as well as partner/group days.  My runner's world training diary said last week: "Running does no good if it doesn't last. After a few months away from it, even a world record holder or Olympic champion is no more of a runner than the next slob on the street."  Not the best choice in language, but I can gauge from the extra time it took me to make it to the Y this afternoon that I'm well off the 9/9:30 minute pace I was at back in the early months of the year before the half marathon.  The good thing I remember is something a great friend and teacher once said to me:  "You did it once, you can do it again."  Thankfully the do-it-again part comes more quickly than the initial journey. Glad to have all the support from you fellow bloggers. Have a great week.

No comments: